Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero "

At times one must embrace Horace!

A long while back when my kids were still small; I had the chance to go listen to John Denver, live, in the park, for free. I loved John Denver, and had I known this would be a once in a lifetime opportunity I would have been there in the front row; I would have made sure to shake his hand and tell him that his words found a spot in my soul. But, I was young, and thought that there would always be a tomorrow, so I waited until "next time"; He died just a few weeks later.

Never again will I make that mistake. Thanks to that awakening, I have heard some of the greatest speakers; Mary Robinson tops that list, and listened to some of the greatest singers from B.B. King to Elton John.

SOOO, when I heard that my most favorite singer of all time was going to be in Utah . . . just a short 6 hour drive away . . . I packed up Mark and the kids - all who thought I was crazy - and took them off to see Steve Earle.

Now let me tell you about Steve Earle . . . When I was just around 22 or so my little brother Johnny said to me, "Katy you gotta hear this . . .", then he pulled out a funny little record. When I asked him what it was, he told me it was a "CD". He said the sound quality was unbelievable, and that I was going to love this new singer Steve Earle. So, Copperhead Road was the first song I heard on a CD. Pretty powerful. I've followed the man's career and have every "CD" he's made, my kids have grown up with him in the background.

Just to have the opportunity to hear him live was incredible, but then we got there; the setting was in a canyon between 11,000 ft peaks, the weather was perfect, there were only 150 people at most, I was in the front row with my loving husband, my kids were in awe of the spectacular talent before them - it was day that was worth the sacrifices it took to get there. We had to drive the 6 hours back that night for Mark to work the next day - I truly am married to one of the hardest working men out there.

Here are some shots from the day . . .