Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Family values . . .

Such a big subject for a little thing like this, but when you are leading a family down the road of life you have to make sure you address them, . . . surprisingly, sometimes even defend them.

The world is such a big beautiful place, with a lot of scary things in it. I think family values are the most important things Mark and I have to give our kids. Living up to them is easy when you know you have five sets of eyes watching how you handle life!

So what have we taught them to be . . . well let's see;

Love everyone, the less lovable they are, love them more; Mark is such a good example of this.

Have a kind heart and be a true friend, treat everyone you meet with respect; Gus and Ryan are such quality young men and it shows in the way they respect everyone around them.

Treat other people's property as though it was worth far more than your own; If you borrow a car; return it clean and with a full tank of gas (especially if it is your parents lol). We still have to reinforce this one from time to time . . .

Never lie, steal or cheat, never, not at games, not at school and especially not on someone you have made a commitment to; your word is the true measure of your character. Mark and I are so proud of Ben, that boy never tells a lie . . . lol . . . no matter how much trouble he is about to be in.

Give a part of yourself away everyday; Lou has gone above and beyond so many times while helping me with my work with refugees, she has really proven to me that in raising her I did something right.

Don't tolerate ignorance, bigots or hypocrites & stand up for those who can't or are afraid to stand up for themselves . . . I tell my kids it's good to be scared in the face of a bully, that means your smart and brave. My Hannah Sue, gosh that kid is so good and brave at heart. Mark and I were really proud of her the other day; some of the school teachers & staff (yes adults) were harassing a couple of kids who are gay on Gay Pride Day. They bullied them and told them they were going to have them arrested if they didn't change out of their Pride shirts right then and there, so these poor kids changed. But when Hannah heard about it she marched into the restroom took off her shirt and wrote GAY PRIDE on it, huge with a permanent marker. She wore that shirt in defense of her friends all day . . . luckily not one bigoted adult had the nerve to tell her to take it off . . . because you know she would have . . . right then and there! She said, "mom, I was hoping they would arrest me . . ." I told her that she taught her friends a good lesson about how hollow the empty threats of a bully are. At a school dance she again proved her depth by asking a boy with Downs Syndrome, who was alone in the corner, to come join and dance with her and her group of friends, making his first dance something special to remember.

I guess what I've tried to teach my kids is summed up by Albert Einstein when he said "...the world is not a dangerous place because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing..." and they have made us so proud by listening.


Lou helping refugees learn pottery.

My "Rainbow" kids hangin' on the North End:
Hannah, Cassy(friend), Kelsy( Gus's girlfriend), and Gus.


Our muscle man, looks more like his dad everyday.